Lesson 87 A perfect alibi

极好的不在犯罪现场的证据

First listen and then answer the question: What was wrong with the man's story?

"At the time the murder was committed, I was travelling on the 8 o'clock train to London," said the man.

“在凶杀发生的时候,我正坐在8点钟开往伦敦的火车上。”那人说。

"Do you always catch such an early train?" asked the inspector.

“您总是赶这样早的火车?”探长问。

"Of course I do," answered the man.

“当然是的,”那人回答。

"I must be at work at 10 o'clock. My employer will confirm that I was there on time."

“我必须在 10 点钟上班,我的雇主会证明我是按时到了那儿的。”

"Would a later train get you to work on time?" asked the inspector.

“晚一点儿的车也能送您按时上班吗?”

"I suppose it would, but I never catch a later train."

“我认为可以,但我从来不乘晚一点儿的车。”

"At what time did you arrive at the station?"

“您几点钟到的火车站?”

"At ten to eight. I bought a paper and waited for the train."

“7 点 50 分。我买了张报纸,等着车来。”

"And you didn't notice anything unusual?"

“您没有注意到有什么异常情况发生吗?”

"Of course not."

“当然没有。”

"I suggest," said the inspector, "that you are not telling the truth.

“我提醒您,”探长说,“您讲的不是实话。

I suggest that you did not catch the 8 o'clock train, but that you caught the 8.25 which would still get you to work on time.

您乘的不是8点钟的火车,而是8点25分的,这次车同样能使您按时上班。

You see, on the morning of the murder, the 8 o'clock train did not run at all. It broke down at Ferngreen station and was taken off the line."

您看,在凶杀发生的那天早晨,8点钟的那次车根本没有发。它在芬格林车站出了故障而被取消了。”

平行结构 单元复习

单词列表

7

alibi

/ ˈæləbaɪ /n. 不在犯罪现场

commit

/ kəˈmɪt /v. 犯(罪、错)

inspector

/ ɪnˈspektə(r) /n. 探长

employer

/ ɪmˈplɔɪə(r) /n. 雇主

confirm *

/ kənˈfɜːm /v. 确认,证实

suggest *

/ səˈdʒest /v. 提醒

truth

/ truːθ /n. 真相