Morning, Grandpa. 早安,爷爷。
Is something the matter, Grandpa? 怎么了,爷爷?
The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset. 这张报纸上的社论着实令我的朋友Nat Baker不高兴。
Ah! I'll read it to you. 啊!我来读给你听听。
"The old library building on Chestnut Street, “Chestnut街的老图书馆,
which has been vacant for over a year now, 已空了一年多,
was supposed to be made into a community center 原计划改成一座社区交谊中心
to serve the senior citizens 为Riverdale的老年人
as well as the younger people of Riverdale. 和年轻人服务。
Due to lack of funds 由于缺乏经费
for the repainting of the interior of the building 用来重新粉刷内部
and for the furniture needed, 和购买必需家具,
the plans for the community center 这项修建社区中心计划
have been postponed indefinitely." 被迫无限期延迟!”
He's coming over to talk about it. 他就是要来谈这个问题。
Is it that serious a problem, Grandpa? 这个问题有那么重要吗,爷爷?
It is. 是的。
Nat's not as lucky as I am, Robbie. Nat不像我这样幸运,Robbie。
He doesn't have any family with him. 他没有家人和他在一起。
He lives alone 他一个人生活
and depends on places like a community center 主要靠社区中心这样的地方
to be with people--people his own age. 和别人交往。
But there's the old community center on Elm Street. 但是在Elm街有一个旧的社区中心。
It's small, 它小小的,
and the problem is that it's set up primarily for kids to play. 而问题是它主要是让孩子们去玩的。
Ping-Pong tables, soda machines, and lots of music. 乒乓球,汽水贩卖机,热闹的音乐。
It's too noisy for some older people like Nat. 它对于像Nat这样的老人来说太吵了。
I never realized that. 我从来没有意识到这点。
It's hard for some older people to take all that noise. 一些老年人没法忍受那些噪音。
That's why the new community center is a good idea. 这就是为什么新的社区中心是个好主意。
Part of the building for older people, 建筑物中的一些由老年人用,
part of the building for younger people. 另一部分给年轻人用。
I see what you mean. 我明白你的意思。
That must be Nat. 一定是Nat。
It could be Alexandra. 可能是Alexandra 。
She's coming over this morning to help me with my math. 她今天早晨要来帮我补习数学。
Hi, Robbie. 嗨,Robbie。
Hi, Alexandra. Come on in. 嗨,Alexandra。请进。
Do you want something cold to drink? 想喝点什么凉的东西吗?
I'd love some cola, please. 请给我可乐。
Cola coming up. 可乐马上就来。
I really appreciate you coming over to help me with my math. 我真的很感谢你过来帮我补习数学。
My final exam is next Tuesday. 期终考试就在下周二。
You're so good in all your other subjects. 你别的功课都那样好。
I just can't understand 我就不懂
why you have so many problems with math. 为什么你在数学方面有那么多问题。
Hi, Alexandra. 嗨,Alexandra。
Hi, Mr. Stewart. 嗨,Stewart 先生。
I thought that was Nat Baker who rang the front doorbell. 我还以为是Nat Baker按大门铃呢。
Don't let me interrupt you. 别让我打搅你们。
No problem, Grandpa. 没有关系,爷爷。
We're just having some cola 我们只是先喝点可乐
before getting to the tough stuff--math. 在对付难缠的数学之前。
He'll do anything to avoid getting down to math lessons, 他老是设法想逃避数学,
Mr. Stewart. Stewart 先生。
I was the same way. 我当年也是这样。
Really, Grandpa? 真的,爷爷?
Really. I didn't like math. 真的。我不喜欢数学。
I wasn't good at it, and I didn't like studying it. 我不精于此道,也不爱去学它。
But you had to be good at math. 但是你数学一科很好。
You graduated from engineering school. 你是从工学院毕业的。
I was. But not in high school. 说的对。但高中时不好。
For some reason, I couldn't get a handle on it. 因为某些原因,我就是开不了窍。
Then, in college, I became good at it. 然而,在大学,我变得很精于数学。
Then there's hope for Robbie. 看来Robbie还有希望。
I can't wait. 我迫不及待。
You think I can just skip it now and get to it at college? 你想我现在略过数学,等到上了大学再学可以吗?
You'll never get to college to find out, Robbie, 你根本就进不了大学去探究这个问题的答案,Robbie,
if you skip it now. 假如你现在略过它的话。
That must be Nat. 这一定是Nat。
Sit down, Robbie. Let's get to work. 坐下来,Robbie, 让我们开始做功课吧。
I'd like you to meet my friend Nat Baker. 我来向你们介绍我的朋友Nat Baker。
This is Alexandra Pappas, and this is my grandson Robbie, 这是Alexandra Pappas,这是我孙子Robbie,
whom I think you've met once or twice before. 我想你以前见过他一两次面。
Nice to meet you, Mr. Baker. 很高兴见到你,Baker先生。
Hi, Mr. Baker. We met before. 嗨,Baker先生。我们以前见过面。
Where? 在哪?
In town. At the hardware store. 在镇上。在五金商店。
I remember now. Right. Hi. 我现在想起来了。对了。嗨。
Hello, Alexandra. 哈,Alexandra。
Don't let us keep you from your math tutoring, Robbie. 别让我们打扰你的数学家教,Robbie。
I know you want to get to it. 我知道你想要开始啦。
Stay ... stay. 再待一会儿…再一会儿。
I told you. He'll use any excuse to avoid math. 我说嘛,他就适且找各种藉口来逃避数学。
Did you read the story in the paper, Malcolm? 你看到报纸上的新闻了吗,Malcolm?
I did. 看到了。
It's a serious matter for a lot of us. 对我们许多人来讲这可是个严重的问题。
A serious matter. 一个严重的问题。
It is. Come on out to the patio. 的确如此。请到院子里来吧。
We'll talk about it out there. 我们到外头谈。
Thanks. Nice to meet you ... again. 谢谢。很高兴再次…见到你。
What's the problem? 是什么问题?
Come on! You'll hear about it. 来吧!你将听到。