Lesson 68 Persistent

纠缠不休

First listen and then answer the question: Why did Elizabeth tell Nigel that she was going to the dentist?

I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me.

我穿过马路以便避开他,但他看到我并朝我跑过来。

It was no use pretending that I had not seen him, so I waved to him.

若再装作没看见他已是没有用了,我只好向他招手。

I never enjoy meeting Nigel Dykes. He never has anything to do.

我就怕遇到奈杰尔·戴克斯。他从来都是无事可做。

No matter how busy you are, he always insists on coming with you.

不管你多忙,他总是坚持要跟你去。

I had to think of a way of preventing him from following me around all morning.

我得想办法不让他整个上午缠着我。

"Hello, Nigel," I said. "Fancy meeting you here!"

“你好,奈杰尔,想不到在这儿见到你,”我说。

"Hi, Elizabeth," Nigel answered. "I was just wondering how to spend the morning -- until I saw you.

“你好,伊丽莎白,”奈杰尔回答说,“我正不知道怎么消磨这一上午呢,正好见到你。

You're not busy doing anything, are you?"

你不忙,是吗?”

"No, not at all," I answered. "I'm going to..."

“不,不忙,我打算去…”我回答。

"Would you mind my coming with you?" he asked, before I had finished speaking.

“我跟你一道去行吗?” 没等我说完话他就问道。

"Not at all," I lied, "but I'm going to the dentist."

“没关系,但我准备去牙医那里。” 我说了个谎。

"Then I'll come with you," he answered. "There's always plenty to read in the waiting room!"

“那我也跟你去,候诊室里总有很多东西可供阅读!” 他回答。

动名词 反义疑问句 非谓语动词

单词列表

3

persistent

/ pəˈsɪstənt /adj. 坚持的,固执的

avoid

/ əˈvɔɪd /v. 避开

insist *

/ ɪnˈsɪst /v. 坚持做